Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Life's Busyness

I really haven't intended to go AWOL with my blog. There could be many excuses, but the truth is work's been extremely busy.

I am the executive director for the Central Texas chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. I've spent a good 20+ years in the nonprofit sector and found myself at a career crossroads nearly two years ago.

I loved the nonprofit sector but was feeling unchallenged. A good friend and mentor advised me to move to a bigger market. I'd worked as an executive director before but felt that it was a stressful situation, and at the end of the day, I needed to be a wife and a mother. I started pursuing opportunities in headquarters or regional offices of the few national nonprofits based in Dallas.

As I researched nonprofits, I came upon the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF). I didn't know anything at all about this organization, but I liked what I saw and read. Unfortunately, CFF is based in Bethesda, MD, and I didn't want to leave Texas. Now, CFF did have a Texas job available, but it was for an E.D., and it was in Austin. It was the only Austin job I applied for and the only E.D. job I pursued. Fast forward a year and a half, and here I am.

Since my job is so busy, I'm going to write a series of blogs about cystic fibrosis, CFF and my chapter. I've long believed that God puts each one of us on this earth to help people. I realized as a young college student that I was not cut out to go into the mission field or Peace Corps, but I could use my strengths and talents in ways to benefit others. In my case, I parlayed my p.r. and marketing skills into fundraising and event planning and have definitely found my calling.

No comments: