Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Jabberwocky


JABBERWOCKY
by Lewis Carroll
(from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought --
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.


Have you ever read that poem before? I remember reading it as a high-schooler and then singing it (yes, believe it or not, there's a song), in high school choir. Even though so many words are gibberish, the way it's written seems to make perfect sense, doesn't it?

I posted the classic poem, because as I come across all those silly verification words on other people's blogs, well I am reminded of Jabberwocky. In fact, if I took the time, I could probably come up with my own poem using some of the silly words I've encountered:

spermi
sucinelse
forre
prosese (sounds like a new pharmaceutical)
avolu
moniat
graniat

And finally, I guess because today's election day, the word verification system decided to put in a real word, flags. One of these days, I'm going to write my own jabberwocky poem. In the meantime, get out and vote, and have a frabjous day. :-)

11 comments:

Meaghan said...

Love the picture and post! Thank you for the comment you left today. Its not easy to put my story out there but knowing that it could save just one life makes it all worth while!

-Meaghan

Anonymous said...

Great post, Sandra!

I've often wondered about those word verification "words". I've seen several to chuckle over!

We voted!

Nola said...

Aren't those word verifications a hassle? Sometimes I just don't comment rather than go through all of that. I turned mine off as soon as I found out how, and I've never been bothered. I wish everyone would turn it off, I think it really just discourages comments.

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

I have always loved the rhythm of this poem. I remember evaluating it in college and tapping out the rhythm. Thank you for sharing it and word verifications for a poem of your own. I'll be thinking the same way from now on!
Katie

Amber Cargile said...

Great post, Sandra! I think it was on Lisa's blog where I had to type in a verification word that was VERY close to "Pregnancy". I'll tell ya, I had to think long and hard before I typed it in and hit "Enter"! hee!

Bernie said...

Amelia would probably have something erudite and intellectual to say about the illustration and the poem, but I'll just say I love that poem and at times odd bits of it will pop into my head. I also love the illustration you posted.

The word verifications are are nuisances. There are times when it is hard to read some of them.

trash talk said...

This is probably my all time favorite poem. Memorized it my sophomore yr and I can still recite most of it. I didn't even realize I had that jibberish on my comment section until someone told me. Great post.

Ann said...

Great Post it brings back memories.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ha! LOVE it! Yes, there sure are some similarities to those verification words.

I shall ponder it as I sit beneath the tumtum tree!!

And Amber....chortle, gufaw!! Funny!

Michelle said...

Oh my! When I was straightening my hair this morning, I thought about "Leather Tuscadero." I oftern wonder why I randomly think of funny words or names. I *love* this poem. I have heard of it, but I guess I've never actually read it.

Forkmode said...

I found it Wrentastic.